Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Writing Prompt: Write a letter to somebody....

WRITING PROMPT: Write a letter to somebody. Think of someone specifically you would have a hard time talking to in person. This could be a love letter, a letter of concern, a letter of support.... be open and honest. Be graphic, be concise; this may be the only chance you'll have of letting this person know how you feel.

If you were to ever read this, you would know
that I am writing it to you. I don't know why
it feels wrong because I have not done any
thing wrong. It's just that you are easier to
write to than talk to; you always have been.

We are the same even though you will never

agree with me and I would deny it if I were
asked. Our lives are as different as night and
day, yet we are the same. We have the same
insecurities, the same needs, the same hurts,
the same desires, the same thoughts.......
whether they are right or wrong. We are only
human after all.

We also have a history. And if history tends

to repeat itself then we are both in trouble.
We share it whether we like it or not. It sits
between the two of us bubbling, festering.
Neither one of us is going to bring it up or
discuss it because it would be awkward and

we both know that awkward will not work for
us. You try hard to please and I try hard to
stay in the background. My days of trying to
please came and went. I just went away. I am
still gone but nobody seems to notice!

Least of all you.

You keep trying to find that magic button,

that magic number, that magic word but you
can't. Maybe you, too, should just settle for
the back row. It keeps you out of trouble for
the most part. But you just put on your face
and then your other face when the first one
doesn't work. You sneak into places you
shouldn't be. Into people's hearts and their
minds and their homes and their private
moments and their memories. You know you
don't belong there but you stay there until
you are about to be found out.

Then you leave. You will only come back

when you are ready. It doesn't matter to
you that you leave people lonely, scarred,
naked and shaking.

You are carrying secrets but you forget

which secrets you tell people so it's always
a guessing game about what you can and
cannot say. You tell people things that you
know you should NOT be telling. Secrets
you know you shouldn't be talking about.
It makes you feel powerful.

I do the same thing.
It's wrong.

But I learned it from you.

Part of me wants to hug you and never

let go because I know that we are the
same. The other part of me wants to run
as fast and far away from you as I can
get and not look back. But you hold a few
tiny, special pieces of me in your calloused
hands that nobody knows or understands.

That's why I love you. That's why I just
stand here with my soft hands hanging
open and awkardly by my side.

You bring out the best in me.
You bring out the worst in me.

I am pretty sure I do the same for you.

No comments: